Hi readers! Super excited to announce that I’m in the May issue of Girl Power Mag! The magazine is sold on stands in Australia and can be purchased worldwide online! Girl Power is such a positive and empowering news outlet. I’m honored to be featured in the Goals Issue. Thank you Girl Power Mag for inspiring girls everywhere to achieve their goals.
Month: April 2016
Navigating the Science Fair World
Insider tips to finding science fairs in your area and how to excel on the judging floor.
Science fairs are a fantastic medium for sharing independent research and expanding your STEM network. From the incredibly driven students in the competition to the amazing professionals who volunteer to judge the projects, science fairs encompass learning opportunities from every angle. I recently competed in the New York City Science & Engineering Fair (NYCSEF) and was honored to receive awards as a finalist. I learned everything I know about science fairs from my friend and fellow intern at Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Ralph! Below I’ll be sharing some tips from Ralph and of course, the tips I’ve acquired competing on the judging floor!
- Find your local fair and pay attention to deadlines. Stay organized while conducting your research to develop a comprehensive paper. The Society for Science and the Public has an awesome fair finder resource!
- In addition to competing in your local fair, there are other STEM competitions to apply to! Competitions include Siemens and Intel STS.
- At the competition, stay hydrated! Bring snacks and a water bottle as long as food/drink is allowed at the fair. Always check the guidelines before arriving!
- Print your poster board at least a week before the fair to ensure it is mistake-free and you are comfortable presenting with it.
- Stay confident while presenting! Yes, presenting at a fair can be intimidating, especially if it is your first time! Turn your nervous energy into excitement! Be proud of your work!
- Wear comfy shoes! You will most likely be standing at your board for the entire duration of the fair.
- Try to relieve stress before the fair by listening to music and/or stretching. My fave playlist is Pop Chillout on Spotify.
Shirt- American Eagle
Awards Ceremony Look-
Shoes- Thalia Sodi (Macy’s)
If you have any advice that you would like to share on scistrut.com, connect with me on social media!